Wednesday, February 17, 2010

First Post In A Long Time

Well the first year of this blog didn't go so well, but I am going to give it another try and see what happens.

The first thing I would like to talk about is how great of a wife that I have. There is no way I could get through seminary without her and I definitely could not raise my two beautiful daughters without the help that she gives. She is always busy doing something if she isn't cleaning she is teaching Kylie and Eve new games or doing laundry. She always keeps the house organized and makes sure the girls have plenty room to play.
This last Sunday was Valentines Day so we celebrated with my annual "special meal" for Kristin. This year I decided to make a meal from her favorite place in the whole world: France. The main dish was a ham and cheese sandwich called a Croque Monsieur. It is a ham and Gruyere cheese sandwich topped with a bechamel sauce. The side dish was a potato dish called aligot. The aligot is potatoes, cream fraiche, and sharp cheddar cheese. This dish didn't quite turn out right but it was still very delicious. It was supposed to be really stringy and ribbony, but it only ended up being like cheesy mashed potatoes.

This is what aligot is supposed to look like:


This is what mine looked like.

Here's a close-up of the croque monsieurs:

I am currently in my 3rd semester of seminary and things with that are going pretty well. I received a 3.667 gpa last semester and am almost a quarter of the way done. I got some exciting news a couple of weeks ago: I will be able to travel to Germany, Switzerland, and Luxembourg this summer for two weeks. We will see sites like Martin Luther's church and Jon Huss's hometown. This is exciting for me because I have never been outside of the U.S. This will also be during one of my favorite sporting events: the World Cup. The Europeans take this event much more serious than we do here in America and I can only imagine how crazy it will be to be able to watch a German match while in Germany.

My classes this semester are as follows: Intro to Apologetics, Pastoral Care and Counseling, and Intro to Hermeneutics. I am looking forward to all three of these classes for different reasons. Apologetics is probably my favorite subject to study. For those not familiar with the term, apologetics is the defense of your faith. I know that I can't persuade someone to come to Christianity by myself but I can open someone's heart up to listen to the Holy Spirit. Pastoral care and counseling I think can help me make our marriage stronger and also help me in counseling others who are having marital problems. Hermeneutics is a class on how to read and interpret the Bible. The reason I am looking forward to this class is because our main assignment it to do 12 sermon outlines. I have really felt called to do a little preaching the last few months and I think these sermon outlines will give me the confidence to finally step up and do it.

Well that probably enough for now. I will try to post again in a day or two I have a lot on my mind that I want to write down but just don't have the time to type it all just yet.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment